Friday, June 3, 2011

FaceBook Posts

I enjoyed the FaceBook postings that the class shared. It was interesting to see all the things in the news and posted about facebook and other social medias dealing with educators. Also, it was interesting to read the different articles about students and kids using facebook as bullying and other things. Here are the posts and responses that were made by me throughout the class.

Posts
• Karen Truitt Daniel
It has been one crazy week for me. I started off having pink eye in both eyes and couldn't find a sub so I had to go to work and get sub plans together until I could get someone to come in for me. The students were on one as usual and I was not in the mood. They love getting on the computer and going to this program called Ticket-to-Read or Accelerated Reader. Ticket to Read is part of our reading program where they read stories and answer questions and play reading games. I have tried several different ways to let every student go to the computer but the last thing I tried was when they get finished with their work, they can go to the computer. Mind you, I only have 3 computers in my room. So everyone is trying to rush to get finished with their work to get on the computer. Then when we are checking the work, the answers are wrong or either half completed. Does anyone have any suggestions for me for the next school year because in 15 days this school year is over? I am getting aggravated also because we have gone through 3 sets of headphones. The students are putting the wire in their mouth and chewing on them and I can't catch who is doing it. Oh yeah and come to find out at the end of the week, I have an inner ear infection in both ears and my blood pressure is high. All I can say is "GO ME!!!!!"

about a month ago

 Karen Truitt Daniel
I read this article and heard about it on the news. I feel sorry for the teacher in a way because from my understanding she did not post the pictures someone else posted the pictures of her. Today, we have to look at these differently as…
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthelaughingstork.com%2F2009%2F11%2Fteacher-fired-for-facebook-photos-showing-alcohol-good-thing-i-never-pursued-a-career-in-education%2F&h=0cab0
May 7 at 10:02am
• Karen Truitt Daniel
Here is an article about the Pitfall and Promises of Social Media. I found it to be very interesting. http://mindshift.kqed.org/2011/03/the-pitfalls-and-promise-of-social-media-and-kids/ I especially like the part in that we can't fault our children for some of the things done on facebook or any other social media because we have to teach them the correct way to use them. If they see the adults using these medias the wrong way they will only follow what they see.
about 2 weeks ago
• Karen Truitt Daniel
http://www.edutopia.org/social-media-education-examples-facebook This is an article that I found that was very intriguing to me about social media in education.
• Karen Truitt Daniel
Here is another interesting article about facebook and dropouts. What do you think about facebook helping students from dropping out of school. To me, it's the mindset of the student. http://www.educationstate.org/2009/10/13/does-facebook-reduce-student-drop-outs/




Responses
 Karen Truitt Daniel I liked the Prezi software better. It was much easier once I got use to it and knew what I was actually doing. I really enjoyed myself and I will share this software with the TAG (gifted) teacher.
May 9 at 7:43pm
 Karen Truitt Daniel
I have befriended some of my past students but now I teach 1st grade so I know none of my students should be on Facebook. I like to see what my students are doing now in their lives and to see where they are going. My daughter has a Face...See More
May 7 at 10:09am
 Karen Truitt Daniel All I can say is Bless you my dear and the school year is almost over. I know it is sort of rough on you these last few weeks.
May 7 at 10:35am
 Karen Truitt Daniel I like the part in the article where it states that you get unhelpful search results. I have gotten this several times and I have gotten really frustrated. It is so annoying especially when you are trying to find something quickly.
Wednesday at 8:01pm
 Karen Truitt Daniel I slept the night away. I was so tired from our 1st grade End of the Year Celebration. It was a great break for me.
Wednesday at 8:08pm
 Karen Truitt Daniel Adrion, we have a computer lab but only certain grade levels are aloud to use the computer lab and of course the upper grades get frst priority. I would love to do something like this with my students. I think they would be more engaged in learning.
Wednesday at 8:10pm
 Karen Truitt Daniel How did your students do on completing the prezi presentation? I introduced the prezi website to the technology teacher at my school and the students that she teach. Some were excited and some were a little sad because they will not be able to use the software in the tech fair. They will be moving on to 6th grade but hopefully the middle school tech person has heard of prezi.
Wednesday at 8:06pm
 Karen Truitt Daniel I think some parents who have trouble with their kids need to take FB and from their kids to see if this would work to get them back on the right track but like you say of course they could find some other media to compensate for not getting on FB.
Wednesday at 8:03pm

No comments:

Post a Comment